It is Assist WI's mission to replace obstacles with opportunities for individuals with disabilities and their families. We seek to share the beauty and excitement of South Central Wisconsin with special needs families through inclusive activities and adaptive adventures.
Assist WI is a non-profit organization that was founded in the Spring of 2014 as a program of Families in Transition Support Network, an established non-profit organization meeting the needs of families in the Wisconsin Dells area.
A message from Assist WI's founder:
"Every exciting roller coaster or water slide is at the top of 1,000 stairs and every really cool nature hike is miles from pavement. So, what we have done, is taken some simple equipment and man power to make these kinds of activities accessible, so families can enjoy them together. At Assist WI, we are extremely serious about our work. We would not hesitate to assemble thousands to make one smile happen, but it would be foolish if we didn't have a little fun along the way." -Will Meissner
What We've Achieved
- In February of 2014 Assist WI became a program of Families in Transition Support Network (FITS)
- On April 23, 2014 Assist WI announced it's formation to the Wisconsin Dells community.
- On July 8, 2014 Assist WI tackled the East Bluff Trail at Devil's Lake for the first time.
- On August 24, 2014 Assist WI crushed the Strong Warriors 5K.
- On November 18, 2014 Assist WI had it's first fundraiser, the Bartender's Ball at Show Boat Saloon.
- In December of 2014 we purchased a Hand-Trike for our participants to use.
- In February of 2015 the Executive Committee of the Wisconsin Dells Visitor & Convention Bureau approved Assist WI's membership as a Visitor Service.